- National Water Center, Groundwater Theme Leader, 2018 Summer Institute.
- CUAHSI (Consortium of Universities for the Advancement of Hydrologic Sciences, Inc.), K-State Representative, 2004-present.
- UCOWR (University Council On Water Resources), University member, 2005-present.
- American Society of Civil Engineers, member, 1983-present, Fellow 2017-present.
- American Geophysical Union, Groundwater Technical Committee (past member), member, 1998-present.
- IAHS (International Association of Hydrologic Scientists), member, 2010-present.
- European Geophysical Union, member, 2011-2014, 2018.
- Advances in Water Resources
- ASCE Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering
- ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering
- E & FN Spoon, book review.
- Environmental Modelling & Software
- Ground Water
- Hydrological Processes
- Hydrological Sciences Journal
- Hydrology and Earth Systems Sciences
- Journal of Engineering Mathematics
- Journal of Hazardous Substance Research
- Journal of Hazardous Materials
- Journal of Hydrology
- Water Resources Research
- CUAHSI (Data Model for Hydrologic Observations)
- National Science Foundation, panel review, February 27 – March 1, 2013.
- National Science Foundation, panel review, February 29 – March 2, 2012.
- National Science Foundation, panel review, February 28 – March 2, 2011.
- National Science Foundation, panel review, March 2-4, 2010.
- National Science Foundation, panel review, July 25-26, 2000.
- National Science Foundation, proposal review
- USDA, proposal review
- USGS, Kansas Water Resources Institute, proposal review.
- USGS, Water Resource Research Institute, proposal review.
- External evaluator, promotion and tenure